Saturday, February 24, 2018

Weilong Super Crispy Black Pepper Steak Ramen Ball

In search of more delicious snacks, I stumbled upon asianfoodgrocer.com, which is basically a wholesale seller of Asian snacks. Naturally I saw a bunch of stuff that was very inexpensive or marked down, so I sure pounced on it! That means I have a lot of stuff sitting in a box making my mouth water right now, but before we get to the stuff I picked out I'll review this bonus item they gave me. It already sounds like it has the potential to be super delicious - ramen balls flavored like steak? Sounds like a Japanese enthusiast-wolf's dream.

Seeing and smelling what's inside has me curious, but a little worried. Appearance-wise, it strongly resembles regular instant ramen, and there may be mixed feelings on this but I'm not usually a fan, as it gives true Japanese ramen a bad name. It also smells like that beef powder from instant ramen packs, which has me worried that this is in fact just repurposed packaged ramen. But maybe it'll be better as a salty snack than as a meal? Only one way to find out.

There are some key variations from normal ramen that I notice here, mainly it seems a bit sweeter, at first. Maybe it's part of the binding agent but it sure took me by surprise. The other main difference is the pepper. When they said black pepper steak, they weren't kidding, there's a lot of pepper in here!In fact the snack is a little spicy as well... let me go lap up some water.

Back. Anyways, aside from the other aspects, the ramen snack is pretty crunch but not too crunchy like you'd expect uncooked noodles to be. I'm a little disappointed the beef flavor doesn't seem to be more than a powder, it's okay but nothing like the steak shown on the package. All in all this is okay, definitely not what I worried about. But it lacks a bit of flavor in key areas, like MEAT. Or maybe that's just me.

Rating: 5 - Ruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment