Friday, February 16, 2018

Calbee Sapporo Potato Vegetable Chips

Long overdue review here, as I also received this as part of a Christmas mystery pack at my local Japanese market. I'm really surprised why, because it looks rather promising, who doesn't love veggie chips? They're always nice for throwing some extra splashes of flavor into your traditional potato chips, whether they're actually healthier or just tricking you into thinking you're eating healthier.

As shown the potato sticks are quite tiny, more akin to the size of shoestring fries. But as promised there are the little splashes of vegetable color in here. The bag smells like the typical veggie chips, potato with all those other vibrant flavors and some salt.

A bite reveals these to have that same pleasing flavor of the mixed vegetables, and surprisingly not over-salted which is a good thing in my book. Though I have quite a few qualms with the texture and size, as it is there's a heavy crunch to these on the outside and a seemingly almost-hollow inside, which means with every bite there's something lacking, I want so much more of the flavor. It feels like a snack that's on the right path, but doesn't quite hit the mark of satisfaction. Even putting two or more in my mouth leaves something to be desired... So as a whole I'd go with the usual American brand veggie chips over these, these seem to stop a little bit short in terms of flavor and texture.

Rating: 4 - Boof!

No comments:

Post a Comment