Sunday, February 11, 2018

Shrimp Mayonnaise Umaibo

I... have no idea what to expect with the flavor of this umaibo. Shrimp, alright. Mayonnaise, alright. Together? We're in for a wild ride. Though I suppose it could be akin to a lobster roll-type flavor. And the corn umaibo was fine despite sounding like an odd flavor so maybe we're in for a treat here! Regardless, I love the packaging on these. The mascot (which looks kinda like a bunny) is always so happy, and this time he's accompanied by one shrimp in the air flying around with the mayonnaise bottle and one down below cutting the fishing net. Team effort or does one know what's going on and the other not?



...well, either this umaibo had a rough trip overseas or I was too rough in opening the packaging, because it's in pieces! Nevertheless, that won't affect the taste. The umaibo has a more distinctly orange color than the corn one which is odd because I don't think that really goes with each of the flavors. But the smell is perfectly on point. The smell actually does remind me a bit of a lobster roll: the combination of slightly fishy (not in a bad way) seafood, cream, and egg really do serve each other well... somehow.

As I take a bite I get some of those same flavors, but toned down a little bit with the slightly less flavorful interior, and wow, I'm impressed! While I usually don't like how the flavor isn't spread throughout it works here because the main flavor is so strong, and with the core it's all balanced out very nicely. I'm quite surprised it works, and now I wish more American snacks experimented with seafood flavors. Unless they botch it of course. Would you want Doritos to come in shrimp mayonnaise flavor? How about fish and chips flavored... chips...? Clam chowder?

If they do any of those like this thought they'd be pretty great. Somehow this snack manages to satisfy seafood cravings while still being crunchy and light and portable, and I'm awfully impressed. I'm sure I'll be stocking my den with some more of these when I don't want to make my way to the ocean!

Rating: 9 - Arooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment