Thursday, February 22, 2018

Kracie Popin Cookin Cake Shop

Many kinds of cakes here, and they all look so yummy! And rather difficult with all the shapes, but Kracie sure has a way of making it accessible to anyone. I'm interested to see how the solid components are done. There's also ice cream. Everything here looks so fun, and a bright pink color, which I assume is strawberry.

To my surprise, all the solid components are premade. That's a little disappointing, but hey, I guess it just means I'll get to eat everything quicker! That makes this one of the easier DIYs, with only two powders, a pastry bag, and sprinkles to work with. The bags I assume, are the strawberry frosting and the vanilla icing that is shown on the ice cream and wafers.



The first step is cutting the wafers up. Which is easy thanks to the versatile spoon utensil included, the edge of it cut through the wafers pretty easily! But got wafer bits in my fur as they went flying, oh no...

Next is the typical step of mixing powder with water, getting these two frostings. They both mix pretty well, and taste very true to their nature! Strong strawberry and vanilla flavors, a bit too sweet, but that's the raw icing, paired with a less sweet base it would be in a good place.

The icing bag was... a bit of an ordeal. The intent here is to have both frostings side b side but it doesn't work well in practice especially since it instructs you to fold the top of the bag, making the window to insert the icing even smaller... So it's hard to get everything in without getting icing on your paws or mixing them too much... but I guess in the end it doesn't matter since they will be mixed.

All that being said, the only step left is assembly, so here's the final product! I would've preferred a rubber band or some way to keep the bag shut because the frosting kept trying to escape from the top, leaving me less than I already started with! A bit of a frustrating experience, and it was quite difficult to get the frosting to not go anywhere I didn't want it to, and for that reason getting the decorative swirls on the package was pretty much impossible. The sprinkles also... I couldn't just pour them on because they'd go everywhere, so I had to press them on and risk more icing in my paws... not a fun time.

As for the taste, everything pretty much tastes the same here but it works. Like I suspected the less sweet wafers do balance out the extra sweet icing in a nice way, and to my surprise the ice cream cones actually did remind me of icing a little bit! Maybe blame that on how cold it is right now, but that seemed the most authentic, the others were definitely a long way away from actual cake. The balance worked well, but the flavors did seem pretty one note, though the extra crunchy bits of the wafer and sprinkles was a nice touch. Unfortunately though this kit wasn't very fun to make like the others... the fewer steps were all frustrating and challenging but not in the fun kind of way.

Rating: 5 - Ruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment