Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Kit Kats - Kyoho Grape, Hokkaido Melon, Wa-Ichigo Strawberry

This time we have three more Kit Kats with some different fruity flavors. While matcha and strawberry are familiar territory, I'm really interested to see how grape and melon translate into Kit Kat's wafter structure. The last one is the ever-familiar strawberry but with Wa-Ichigo tacked onto it. I wonder if that will be any different?

As usual I look up the meaning behind any unknown words and see that kyoho grapes are a type of grape grown in Japan. Regardless  I don't expect this to be too different from the normal grape flavor, though this one has a lighter color and different smell than I expected. It smells... almost like grape toothpaste? Not sure if that'll be an entirely bad thing. It's definitely not pure grape smell, kind of muddled with a milky flavor and added sweetness.

The flavor does seem to work a bit in context of the wafer. Without it I imagine a pure grape flavor would be in stark contast to the rest of the treat. It still feels a little out place in candy, after adjusting to it, it's okay, but still odd and not quite what I'm looking for. It's a bit too sweet where from fruit flavors I expect something more authentic. This... is okay, but doesn't quite work for me.

Rating: 4 - Boof!


Now full disclaimer, I'm not a huge fan of melon. The flavor is usually too watered down to make it work. Thankfully a Kit Kat is not going to have this problem. The flavor and the color both seem pretty authentic, if I closed my eyes and sniffed this I would definitely think it's a melon, and it has that dulled yellow color melons are known for.

The taste actually works quite well! I was worried about how the tangy melon flavor would gel in Kit Kat form but it's a nice match. It's still too sweet for my tastes but it works well. Instead of a bunch of water in the texture, crispy wafer makes for a superior substitute, and the melon adds some new sensations that I haven't had with Kit Kats before.

Rating: 7 - Aroof!

Wa-Ichigo is also a type of Japanese strawberry, meaning once again we shouldn't be in for anything too out of the norm. This one seems darker than the other strawberry Kit Kat which a good thing since darker in fruit terms translates to a richer flavor. And indeed I do get a more rich and less over-sugared strawberry smell from this.

And rich indeed the flavor is! This is everything I look for from strawberry flavors. It's deep and rich and slightly sweet, and paired with the wafer it might as well just be a strawberry cracker without the strawberry texture. It does feel a little plain without any other accompanying flavor, but very nice improvement on the other strawberry Kit Kat, and I'd say this is the definitive strawberry Kit Kat. I guess with this and Uji Matcha, the more words you add onto a Kit Kat flavor the better it gets? We'll see if that pattern remains.

Rating: 8 - Rowf!

No comments:

Post a Comment