Thursday, February 15, 2018

Pokemon DIY Candy Kit

Who doesn't love Pokemon? I'll admit I was a little jealous when I saw that this was included in the February Japan Crate, so when I spotted it at a Japanese market I had to nab it for myself. I love how prevalent Pokemon themed products are in Japan, and considering how popular the series is in the US too, I have to wonder why we don't get more of them? Regardless, this seems to be a simpler DIY, consisting of a mold and some soft candy, though it could still be just as fun and tasty.



As expected, not too many components here. There's the mold of Pikachu and Litten, which is just a bit upsetting because that fire cat is not my first pick... The other possibilities are Pikachu/Rockruff, Komala/Rowlet, and Togedemaru/Popplio. I'd have loved to have a Rockruff in there, canines stick together. Litten's still cool, but I feel no connection towards that kitty. Also included are four lollipop sticks, and the two packets of strawberry and lemon candy, meaning this is intended to make four candies, probably 1 of each color/mold combination. The molds seem pretty robust though, so maybe they can be used for other art projects too!

The two candies have quite a nice color. The lemon one's smell is very in your face, hopefully the candy itself is toned down a little more. The strawberry one has a really nice smell that isn't too artificial or sweet tasting.

Getting the candy into the molds was a bit of an ordeal at first, until I figured out a good method, which was to not worry about putting to much in and put everything in. The molds are designed to close even with an excess and it separates that excess nicely so that it's easy to peel off afterwards. Plus the hole at the bottom to insert the sticks in.

All in all, here's how they turned out! Not bad at all. The facial features retain most of their definition surprisingly, making these molds quite effective.

As for the taste: the strawberry is delightful! It's quite simplistic but good, some of the best strawberry I've had, like the smell it has a good balance of natural flavor and sweetness. And thankfully the lemon is not caustic like its smell. It's actually quite sweet and once again, tastes very natural to me, even it it might not actually be a natural flavor. The candy is a bit difficult to eat off the stick which is frustrating, It might actually be better if I didn't use them. Overall though, while a bit simplistic, this is a fun and tasty DIY kit! And pretty light at only 20 calories. I just wish they included the other Pokemon, but that's to convince me to buy more, right?

Rating: 8 - Rowf!

No comments:

Post a Comment