Monday, February 26, 2018

Kit Kats - Uji Matcha and Otono-no-Amasa

Technically both of these two are labeled Otono-no-Amasa (chocolate for adults), and so were the three I reviewed before, but the last one... doesn't seem to have any other label as far as I can tell. What I can assume is that it's some sort of upgraded kit kat for the more refined consumer, in this case tasting it with my unrefined puppy tastebuds should make it an extra good treat! Also in there is the Uji Matcha, in hindsight I should've tasted it alongside the normal matcha to compare but this is what we got now... if it's really different it should stand out on its own.

The coloring of this one looks mostly the same, maybe a little bit lighter than the other matcha, and gone are the speckles that were on the other one. I looked it up and Uji refers to a type of matcha that comes from a specific region. Maybe better quality? Who knows. As for the smell, it's a matcha smell alright, about as good as they come, not too overpowering.

Tasting this, I can definitely tell it's less bitter than the other one, which definitely makes this more mainstream-accessible, and I like it better too. As good as matcha is, to put it raw in this normally sweet wafer treat makes it out of place, so they got it right here. The matcha itself doesn't come out as strong, and I would like to taste it just a bit more, the sweetness masks it a little bit. But otherwise, comes closer to striking a nice balance, sweet but with that matcha taste I know and love.

Rating: 8 - Rowf!



This one doesn't appear to be too strikingly different from the normal Kit-Kat at first glance. It does have more of a semisweet smell than the milk chocolate from what I remember, so maybe that's what it means by being for adults? Only one way to find out.

As predicted it's simply a darker chocolate and more bitter version of the original Kit Kat. Not only do my puppy taste buds handle it, but they love it! Kit Kat has grown up here and sacrificed some of its sweetness for a more rich flavor that actually makes it better than the original. The other thing sacrificed is a bit of the melty texture, but I even think that extra bit of bite makes it tastier (and makes my jaw feel more powerful). Too bad these aren't readily available because this is the definitive Kit Kat experience.

Rating: 9 - Arooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment