Saturday, December 9, 2017

Pine Awadama Fizzy Candy Red

This may be the most enigmatic thing in the December Japan Crate because I can't see what it is from the wrapper, and all I know from the infozine is that it's apple flavored and fizzy. Though I did look up what Awadama means and it translates to "bubble ball." So I'll assume this is one of the many Japanese hard candies associated with soda. At this point I think there are more associated with soda than not over there. What is it about the two that are so similar? I have no idea.



I have to say, it has the appearance of a bouncy ball. Though my paws are not made for dribbling these, I love them! So amazed at how kids can bounce them so high and onto roofs and trees. It's making me feel all playful and frisky just thinking about it. So anyways the candy is hard and red as expected from the title. I'm almost hoping it isn't good because they only gave me one. But it's pretty to look at, many pink and white designs. Doesn't smell particularly like anything.

It is good, wow. The apple flavor reminds me a little bit of warm apple cider, like the kind from a powder. Definitely skewing more to the artificial side. Once past the initial layer I get the fizzy element. And while I dislike carbonation, this isn't the bubbles-on-your-tongue kind. Feels like air bubbles releasing from the candy as it deteriorates, I don't even know if that's what it is but I get that kind of vibe. It's the same taste of carbonation without the feeling of it.

Unlike a lot of Japanese hard candies where the flavor is quite subtle this one shines through, vibrant apple constantly. It also tastes "red" if that makes sense? Like usually I imagine green or yellow for an apple flavor, but this has more of a warm tone to it, like apple cinnamon might. And the carbonated flavor works really well with it. So I guess it is disappointing that there is just one, but I can always buy more - in more flavors I've found. It's no surprise that these are popular with kids as I've learned, bright and fizzy flavor. Maybe that bouncy ball appearance is there for this reason.

Rating: 7 - Aroof!

No comments:

Post a Comment