Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas Chocolate Umaibo

While umaibo seem to be part of the "cheap candy" in Japan, the first umaibo brought me a really interesting flavor and texture that I quite enjoyed. I also haven't tried anything chocolate in a while and I'm salivating at the chance to have some chocolate candy right now (my name is Brownie after all)! Hopefully the crispy texture translates over to chocolate as well as it did the corn.



To my surprise, it's coated in chocolate! I thought it would just be the crispy part like the corn one except brown and chocolatey, but this one seems to get the coating too. I wonder if it's also chocolate on the inside? This one also has the hole in the middle which still could very well be a straw if not for there being no hole on the other side. It's definitely got that same chocolatey smell I'd get from a Hershey Kiss or Kit-Kat or a Wonder Ball (I miss those...). And some nice ridges along the side for texture.

To my surprise it's not chocolate all the way through. Darn, I kind of wanted some more. The inside bears some resemblances to the other umaibo. No corn taste, but I still get a bit of a salty crispy taste from it. I don't know if it's because I got really hyper about chocolate but I kind of wanted some more chocolate from this. This umaibo is also smaller than the other one so I didn't get many bites to contemplate it... All in all it's an okay snack, but it seems to lack substance and could use more chocolate flavor. Texture is on point just like the last umaibo, and it's even better with the chocolate because you get that soft padding to go with the crunch. So it's okay, just not enough chocolate for me and too small.

Rating: 4 - Boof!

No comments:

Post a Comment