Friday, December 8, 2017

Hapi Pudding

So after that wonderful pudding marshmallow I've been itching to try real Japanese pudding. Maybe the flavor was everything I could ever hoped for and I'll devour pudding for the rest of my life, or maybe the marshmallow was a one-time miracle. Regardless, I'm wagging my tail already and panting happily at the thought of getting to try the origin behind that filling I know and love. Thankfully on the prowl at my local Japanese market last night, there was a 3 pack of these right there and I knew exactly what to do.



Thankfully I did my research before this and knew that I should resist simply licking the pudding from the container. That would be disgraceful, even for an animal like me. The Hapi folks instead provided an extra rim on the bottom of this to push the pudding out onto a plate. Unfortunately for a while I was confused on how to do this, pawing and pushing and licking and shaking the container hoping the delicious goodness would slide out, then I looked it up and saw that all I had to do was break the little rod sticking out in the bottom right corner of the picture and the pudding would just fall out! Probably something suction related or all sciency like that. But it was magic (even though my paws were ill-equipped for handling this little gadget.

Now that it's out, I'm overtaken with that sweet and all too familiar smell from the marshmallow. Definitely drooling at this point if it's going to be anything like that. I take a bite and no doubt it's that same wonderful flavor, back to puppy heaven once again! It's definitely sweeter than the marshmallow without that fluff to balance it out, in fact probably the sweetest thing I've tasted so far. But I barely care as the eggy flavor shines so much in this glorious concoction.

The one thing this has over the marshmallow is that caramel layer at the top, and oh is it good. I tried both individually, and without the caramel there certainly is a lacking element to the pudding, maybe a sense of earthiness. But together they're a perfect match. It's interesting that I like this because it resembles flan, which I am not as much a fan of. What's the difference I wonder? I looked it up and this is made with gelatin whereas flan isn't, and is a bit sweeter. Perfect explanation. Of course I would love anything with animal products more. Awoooooooo! I have no idea if this is the best flavor of Japanese pudding out there, but I love it. May try cooking up some myself too, the more the merrier!

Rating: 9 - Arooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment