Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Onigiri Senbei

I got all excited at first reading this snack name because I thought it would actually be similar to an onigiri, but turns out it's an onigiri shaped rice cracker (senbei). Still could be very good, actually when I was a wee little pup I was allergic to wheat, so any time I wanted something starchy I would go for rice cakes instead. So I very well know the magic of rice snacks, but let's see how this one measures up.


Doing the initial bag sniff, I was quite surprised at the smell of these. First of all, it's a stronger smell than I expected from rice crackers. Typically they're the "safe" food unless no other flavoring is added to them, but these have a smell that consists of, well, cooked rice, but also strong salt and butter smells. So there is clearly some other ingredients going on here. There aren't too many crackers in this bag, but they look very well baked. Not as brown as on the package, but crispy corners, and a shiny outside. Quite promising.

Tasting them, I get more of the flavors that I smelled, the rice, salt, and butter. My first impulse is to say these are a little too salty, as I go to lap up some water after trying one, but it could work for others. The butter flavor however is right on, as is the crunch. It's a bigger crunch than the color of the cracker lets on. Maybe a little too much crunch actually. Or is it just my pup teeth?

Flavor wise I still do want something more from this. I'm getting a buttered popcorn vibe from the snack, but when not watching a movie, I want a little more. And others may like the amount of salt, but to me it takes away from the actual flavor of the rice crackers. All in all an okay snack, but not one I would spring for normally.

Rating: 4 - Boof!

No comments:

Post a Comment