Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Kracie Popin Cookin Donuts

Time for some more DIY fun! Everything Kracie has made so far has been delicious and more fun than any chew toy, so I already have high hopes. This one instead of Japanese food is donuts, so there won't be much manipulation of flavors here. I expect it to taste pretty close to the source material. Also look how cute that bear donut is!



There actually seems to be a lot to this one despite it being just one simple shape. Many bags, multiple molds, some guides on the back of the bag. Surprised that donuts are so complicated, but if it's delicious and fun I'm willing to put in the work. There are also alternate donut ideas, maybe I'll go for those if I ever get this kit a second time, but for now I'll stick to what works.

Making the donuts and frosting was a fairly simple process, mix in the water for each part and stir. I got confused initially because every online guide said to fill in a ridge inside the tray and there was none, when in reality according to the back of the box it is 3 of the tiny triangle cups. Unfortunately I knew this after the fact so... the chocolate dough is a little more watery than it probably should've been. But other than that the process was simple. There are also sections to make the nose and ears for the bear which is much appreciated.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture before eating the donuts so two of them are not shown, awrrrr. But anyways, making the donuts was a matter of pressing the dough in the molds, letting it sit, and then scooping it out with the spoon. I expected it to completely fall apart here, but it stayed together quite well. I wish they had something to make frosting the donuts a little easier, the only tools provided were the spoon and the pastry bag. For the latter I cut 1cm from the corner as it displayed but the chocolate still didn't come out in thin enough lines... this made the bear nose a little puffy looking. Also the bag was too big for the amount of chocolate frosting that was there. Nevertheless, with the three frostings, two doughs, sprinkles, and crunch, there is definitely enough to get creative, which is always a good thing. I decided to be lame and make the donuts on the box.

The end result is quite delicious and sweet but it does feel like there is something a little lacking. The custard dough has a delightfully eggy flavor and the chocolate dough is like the frosting but a little thicker, I think overall not using the microwave hurts both of these. I expect a cake texture and get more of a goo. And it's alright, but there's really no variety in this case, it's just goo on top of goo. Sweet flavored goo, but still goo. The crunch and sprinkles though are great and do add a lot to the taste.

Rating: 6 - Aruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment