Saturday, January 6, 2018

Koikeya Savory Salt Potato Chips

At first glance these just look like plain potato chips, granted with 100% on the bag twice for whatever reason. However, these chips have their own Japanese touch to them in the form of an umami flavor consisting of bonito flakes, anchovies, and konbu (kelp). So basically land meets see, potatoes with a touch of the ocean's offerings. Guess I'll find out if that's a pleasant marriage.



The umami smell is definitely there but very subtle. It mostly smells like your run of the mill potato chips. The chips themselves however are very promising, there's a good bit of nuance in the shapes and textures and color to keep my tail wagging in anticipation. They definitely appear to be up there in appearance with some of the best I've had!

Tasting them the umami flavor is still pretty subtle, in fact I don't really get much of it at all besides a hint. I think I would like a little more of that, not overwhelmingly so, but if I didn't know what was in it, I would never have guessed. Also disappointing is the amount of air in the bag, come on! I thought the Japanese would be better than that.

The potato chip flavor and texture however is excellent, it's on par with any kind of chip. They are quite addictive so I could see how these would fly off the shelves in Japan. In terms of unique flavors though? You can get the same thing by buying Lay's.

Rating: 6 - Aruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment