Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Cabbage Taro, Okonomiyaki Sauce Flavor

Now not many people know this since I only blog about snacks, but I love Japanese food of all kinds, and have many an occasion snuck my way into Japanese restaurants to try some of their cooking. In particular the one thing that always made my mouth water was okonomiyaki. Cabbage on its own doesn't sound exciting, but when baked into a pancake it suddenly becomes the most delicious thing ever. Throw some meat on that and you got yourself a meal. I even managed to cook some of my own once for an alpha wolf and he loved it. What does that have to do with this snack? This is a puffed snack that is apparently flavored like cabbage, but doesn't actually have any cabbage in it, instead the rich flavors of okonomiyaki. If it's anything like the real deal, you can bet my tail will be wagging as I chow down on these.



I open the bag and smell it and instantly I'm hit with the flavor of okonomi sauce, this is a very good sign indeed. For those of you who don't know, okonomi sauce goes on okonomiyaki (as you may have guessed), and is a mix of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oyster sauce, and a sweetener (sugar or honey), and it has this wonderful sweet earthy flavor. I could just sniff this bag forever really, reliving memories of my favorite treat. But I won't, because there are things to eat. And they look like nice shaped puffs themselves, with a little bit of seasoning on the outside as the bag advertises. There's even a bit of browning on some, implying that they were cooked to be nice and extra crispy. This has so much promise.

I definitely get the taste of okonomi sauce as expected, but it doesn't last as long as I would like it to, later becoming the generic puffed corn taste. It's like one moment of wonderful earthiness and then back to the generic taste of what lies within. And as I eat more, the taste gradually seems to become less, which is a bit sad. But on the other hand, I'm not the biggest fan of savory snacks, so maybe someone who is already a fan of cheetos and the like would like this more. It's sad though, that sniffing the bag is much better than eating the real thing. If only they could infuse that flavor throughout the entire snack they'd have something wonderful. Instead I guess I'll just go back to cooking up more okonomiyaki of my own.

Rating: 4 - Boof!

No comments:

Post a Comment