Friday, January 19, 2018

Nissin Choco Flakes

I got this from a grab bag at my Japanese market that was intended for Christmas, and it included some things that I gave away because I already tried them - a Black Thunder bar, caramel corn, and potato rings among others - but of course I couldn't give up the new things without trying them! Greedy pup I am. So these seem to be Japan's answer to Choco Pebbles, maybe? Or maybe it'll be something entirely different. One thing I am pleased by already is how heavy the bag feels. In a world poisoned by air-filled bags, this snack already stands out.

From the sniff test, I get a scent similar to some of the other Japanese chocolate snacks, mainly the Ginbis shimichoco corn. It's a chocolate iced smell, but the texture of the snack doesn't seem to be quite that. It's chocolate all the way through, with some crispy bits in the middle - I'll assume that's rice? And they seem very prone to sticking together, I pulled out more than a few clusters. But those could be even better than individual flakes.

Tasting the flakes, I get a little bit more rice than chocolate initially, then the chocolate manages to seep through. I'd like a little more chocolate here, but it's nice to have this be a little lighter of a snack, works well for an afternoon pick-me-up (which I'm using it as now). The crunch though is very pleasant, quite satisfying for such a little treat. It's even better with the clusters. I'm glad they melted together so I ended up seeing the best way to eat them. It's not exceptionally sweet either compared to similar snacks. These actually seem more like crispy rice cereal flavored with a bit of chocolate. Overall a pleasant eat but a bit different from what one may be expecting. Especially with the chocolate flowing onto the flakes on the package.

Rating: 6 - Aruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment