Sunday, April 15, 2018

Umaiwa Cheese

The name of this snack sounds similar to Umaibo, and for good reason - it's made by the same company, and with the same corn puff filling, only this time, it's multiple smaller pieces and in a bag. And certainly not because they got broken up in shipping this time. I'm not usually the biggest fan of cheese snacks myself, but maybe this one will change my mind, as it seems to be based on cheese fondue, and I am a fan of that taste much more than something like Cheez-Its.

As advertised, the snacks are ring shaped. They are bright orange which worries me a bit, but the smell reassures me, as it does seem more authentically cheesy than a lot of other snacks out there. It's still in your face, but it reminds me of nacho cheese - maybe not the closest to real cheese, but still with a lot of depth and not entirely artificial like cheese dust.

The taste is a little less satisfying than that. For some reason while the smell brings to mind cheese fondue, the taste is a bit more on the cheese dust end, and maybe this is because of the texture, it's very "dusty" itself. However over time I still do get the nacho cheese flavor, and like other umaibo-type snacks there's also a corn flavor added to it that I didn't get in the initial smell. There's a little sweetness from that end but it's more appreciated than it is clashing, as there's a nice balance between the salty outside and the sweeter inside. If you like cheesy snacks but want a little more authenticity, this one may be right for you, if this was any other cheesy snack I would be appalled, but this one can stick around.

Rating: 6 - Aruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment