Friday, April 6, 2018

Calbee Plum Seaweed Chips

Although TokyoTreat has very good box curation, I have to question why there's another bag of plum chips in this box, only two months after the last one. Though it is different, this time we have seaweed, a Ruffles-like texture, and a custom bag designed by SOU SOU, whoever that is. The flowers on the bag are nice, but only taste will make me go ARF ARF.


As expected, the texture is that of Ruffles, which is great as I love the feel of those ridges! True to the theme of the chip there are also pink splotches on the chips, but no green to also represent the seaweed. Last time I had plum chips there wasn't much of a plum flavor to begin with, so I'm glad to see some visual evidence. From the bag I get mostly a chip smell, but slightly accented with the fruity sweetness of the plum and the umami of the seaweed.

One of the things I complained about last time too was the fruity and salty flavors clashing and I still get a bit of that from these chips. I'm not sure if it's just an acquired taste? Because every time my brain is telling me these don't go together. Silly humans. Chip wise those the crunch of the ridges is on point, I think I would like the chips more slightly cooked for a bigger crunch. The seaweed flavor is definitely third fiddle to the potato and plum. I get it if I really concentrate on tasting this but otherwise it's just a microdose of umami to go along with this confusing combination. They do seem to have dialed back a bit on the salt to make these flavors work but it still... doesn't. Slightly better than the other chips though for the texture and seaweed.

Rating: 4 - Boof!

No comments:

Post a Comment