Friday, April 6, 2018

Meigum Puchi Puchi Sherbet

Many of the DIY kits I've gotten outside of the Kracie ones have been very simplistic and nothing groundbreaking (but still very fun and delicious). This one from Meiji looks to buck that trend as there is a lot going on here. It seems to have three molds, all with different textures and colors, and some spherification action going on! Haven't seen that since the sushi kit. I'm not really sure how this is considered sherbet, considering it doesn't resemble the ice cream style dish at all, but no worries. Going to be a lot of fun either way!

About the number of components expected here lies inside. Three bags for the different layers, along with the animal molds and square containers. More animal molds than I thought - there's a snail, cat, pig, panda, owl, and turtle. How exciting! Also the only tool included is a dropper which is good for the spheres but could be trouble for everything else.
The first step is to do the yellow layer, but only for the bottom row, which as usual requires mixing a packet with water, stirring it, and then using the dropper to layer it to a line in the molds. This packet came out a little thick and was therefore hard to mix but eventually gained a nice gel-like consistency. As expected with yellow things there's a slight lemon taste to it, but it's very slight, it also has a lot of generic candy fruit flavor in it.

Next is the blue layer. I thought it would be pink given the package and I almost started to doubt it, but considering the pink is meant to be bubbles that sink through the blue it makes a bit more sense. This started to make a greenish color in the yellow ones which got me worried but it's just the light going through both. The blue layer was much thinner and has a distinct ramune taste.

Finally the last layer. I always love dropping spheres like this, it's so much fun to watch them sink into the liquid! Although trying to get them to land in particular holes like on the package is hard as some of them didn't even sink! So I tried my best but ultimately not everything made it to the right spot. The pink liquid has a similar flavor to the yellow except... a strawberry taste? Or maybe I'm just imagining things based on the color. And then the last step is to... freeze them? That makes sense, but I wanted to eat them now... Oh well, I'll return to this later.

And the finished product! I don't think I waited quite long enough as they're still a bit melty, but they came out quite well. As for the taste they have a nice texture to them. I was worried it would be difficult to eat being frozen but it slushes well in my mouth. Mostly ramune slush, that is. The upper yellow didn't quite freeze all the way and even then retains its gummy texture. The taste is quite pleasant but a little one note, half only have the flavor of ramune (the pink doesn't come out too much besides a little tanginess) and half have the lemon fruit candy flavor added on which is a nice touch. This was a very fun and cute idea. But I think it could be even better with more variation on taste, as currently it's just a nice frozen treat.

Rating: 7 - Aroof!

No comments:

Post a Comment