Thursday, April 12, 2018

Don Tacos Grilled Corn Flavor

What's this Mexican snack doing in my Japanese snack box??? Just kidding, the text confirms it's fully Japanese, but the title makes it sound like something else. I actually love Mexican food as well, might as well call me a Mexican wolf, but Japan definitely has the more inventive snacks. So much so that it seems they're doing it for the Mexicans now. No matter what the concept for this is or the culture I'm excited as grilled corn sounds like a great taste to make a savory snack from.

Of course the snack inside seems to be a direct copy of a Mexican snack too, the tortilla chip! I should've figured as a corn snack it might be this. The flavor, however, is different. I get a much sweeter smell from the box than your typical tortilla chip, it smells very buttery, just like the corn slathered with butter on the package. So this may be a different approach to the tortilla chip.

And as expected, the taste is sweeter too but it also tastes much more... authentic than your typical tortilla chip? Maybe this is because it's actually trying to capture the flavor of grilled corn. If not for the texture I'd think I was having corn nachos topped with butter and some cotija cheese. It's a nice blend of sweet and salty and buttery and well... corny... and there does seem to be a bit of a cheesy taste in there but I'm not quite sure. I quite like it, it has more flavor than your average tortilla chip. The original may blend better with salsa and queso, but this stands out very well on its own. But it certainly makes me worried for the future of Mexican cuisine... if Japanese snack makers are producing chips like these, will they eventually take over the entirety of Mexican cuisine? Not that I'd mind ramen burritos.

Rating: 9 - Arooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment