Friday, May 11, 2018

Mini Fried Dough Twist, Salty Shallot Flavor

Right up until the point I pulled out this snack today it seemed like an amazing idea. Mini fried dough twists? So basically a churro right? And I started wagging my tail in anticipation of this. But then... I saw in the left right corner "salty shallot flavor" and I tilted my head in confusion. These... don't seem like things that'll go together. But maybe it'll work anyways. I mean I definitely have more of a sweet tooth, so it's going to be a bit disappointing either way, but onion flavor snacks can be great, and this seems like it's taking it to a different form factor altogether.

Thankfully this Chinese company knows better than to leave a bunch of dough twists bumping into each other overseas, so they are packaged in threes within. They have a texture that's not soft, but not entirely crispy-hard either, somewhere in between. Basically they hold their shape. The smell as I expect is oniony, and very salty. This might be too much salt for me, but only one way to find out.

Each one definitely has a bite to it, enough to make it feel significant. It's about the texture of your average cereal once you bite of each piece with a satisfying pop. It is salty, but not unbearably so. Having the doughy interior there makes this hole thing work. It's a bit of a buttery taste too, which actually goes quite well with the salt and shallots. The shallots pack a punch, but the butter and dough manage to mellow that down to something that makes me not too overwhelmed eating it. This snack isn't anything mindblowing, although it could be if in bigger form with more quality ingredients. I could see these being similar to breadsticks, and the oniony flavor could certainly spice those up. For now though, just a nice little salty, oniony treat.

Rating: 6 - Aruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment