Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Kakigori Ramune Candy

We've had our fill of popsicle candy in this TokyoTreat, and now it's time for another cooling summer treat in the form of shaved ice! This is always that thing that you find on a super hot festival day and then it becomes the most appealing thing in the world... and it's fairly hot now, so I come to this snack with the same request. It seems that it has a cooling sensation much like the popsicle kit, and I'm certainly ready to be cooled. Hopefully everything will gel with the strawberry and ramune flavors a little better this time.

The candy, as depicted on the package, comes in these tiny tablets, which is good because, while tiny, it ensures I'll think twice before eating them all at once. Or maybe not if they're amazing. Both have a sweet vibrant smell with their respective flavors shining through and have a chalky texture, as some of it rubs off on my paws.

I pop the strawberry one in my mouth and it has a very satisfying pop as I bite through it, and I get the cooling sensation that was promised to me. It's a bit different from a purely strawberry candy, the flavor definitely seems more like the strawberry syrup that comes out of those shaved ice machines, which means it's quite accurate, and the sweetness and cooling sensation skew it away from a purely strawberry flavor. This is not a bad thing, actually it's a pretty refreshing difference, and the cooling sensation is used very well here, not being overbearing or obscuring the flavor. I already feel a little more cooled down, as I start to pant less. The ramune flavor also provides some nice refreshment. It has the rare distinction from other ramune snacks of actually feeling like it quenches my thirst, in part because of the wonderful cooling feeling. This takes everything the popsicle snack tried to do and does it right, managing to capture all the sensations of shaved ice in one convenient candy. I should keep more of these around for the summer!

Rating: 9 - Arooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment