Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Don Taro Udon Snack

 
Well this certainly is a peculiar looking snack. I've had a ramen snack before but not udon, so I may no what to expect or get my expectations blown out of the water. It's also supposed to be flavored like an udon noodle soup bowl, which I tend to lap up like a parched pup whenever I get my paws on one. It's a tiny snack so maybe it'll incite a craving for some more udon. Can't win, huh?

Well this certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Rather than noodles clumped together, it's a collection of loose, dried, udon-flavored noodle crisps. I guess this was meant to be eaten tiny piece by piece from the bag then, but whoops, now it's all dumped out! The smell is peculiar too. I don't get an udon vibe from it, more of a beef instant ramen kind of flavor. Which is from the noodle snack I had before.

The noodles seem to be not as crispy as I was expecting, they're some kind of halfway point between soft cooked noodles and crispy dried. The flavor though is somewhat pleasant, there's a lot of salt, and then what seems like soy sauce, and some kind of broth (maybe dashi?) in addition to the eggy flavor of the noodles themselves. And it does somewhat work. Though I can't shake the feeling that I'm eating uncooked instant ramen. I'm also not a huge fan of this form factor because it's hard to eat all the tiny pieces without spilling them, but maybe that's me having clumsy paws. All in all it tastes a little cheap and the texture isn't great, but the combination of flavors does work. Not enough to make me crave udon though. Phew.

Rating: 5 - Ruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment