Sunday, March 18, 2018

Kit Kats: Amazake and Japanese Sake

This time we have a pair of Japanese Kit Kats that look very similar, but are likely to have some difference or another. According to the TokyoTreat guidebook, the Amazake Kit Kats are sweet sake, meaning that they'll be sweeter than the traditional Japanese Sake. It's also worth nothing that I have never had actual sake before, so I won't know anything about the source material. Could that make it hard to describe? Maybe, but I've had more difficult before.

Starting with the Amazake Kit Kat, which is the one included in this month's TokyoTreat box. The appearance is nothing special to describe: just a plain white. The smell of it is what I'd best guess a sake smell is like, it has an alcohol smell to it, a slight fruity smell, and bit of milkiness and sweetness.

Now I can't say I'm a fan of the alcohol smell or taste myself, but this Kit Kat seems to make it worth with a very creamy taste backing it. And as I eat more of it that taste seems to go away, and I get more of the fruity/milk flavor. It's a pleasant taste but not particularly noteworthy for me. I think it could actually benefit from a little less sweetness, as I don't get enough of the actual sake flavors.

Rating: 5 - Ruff!




Already there are a few differences with the more traditional Japanese Sake variant. There are a few blemishes in the expanse of solid white, which probably mean this is a more "rough" sake variant rather than the refined sweet sake. The flavor is also way more fruity than the other one, and I don't get as much milkiness or sweetness from this one.

In this case, I'm not too much a fan of the fruitier flavor in practice. It's probably personal preference, as I can see wine fans loving this, but for me it steers a little bit too far towards a rough toothpaste-esque taste combined with the alcohol taste that I don't like. It still has the Kit Kat level of polish though, with enough sweetness and crispiness to make the experience worthwhile, but I'm not partial to the flavor here.

Rating: 3 - Rrr

No comments:

Post a Comment