Saturday, March 10, 2018

Chocolate Kinako Mochi DIY

Not any especially new territory here, as I've had mochi and kinako snacks before, but the combination of them with chocolate is something I don't think I've had. It seems like it would make a good combination, with the sweetness of chocolate and the umami of kinako, with a solid base in mochi, but we'll see how this translates into DIY form.

Unfortunately, the mochi seems to have come to me broken, oh no! I'm also surprised that it's hard, as similar DIY packs have opted for soft candy here, but from what I see I'll be pouring water on the mochi to soften it up. There are also two packs consisting of the chocolate and kinako, and a utensil as expected.

After pouring the water on the mochi, things made more sense as it softened up almost immediately, and the texture definitely seemed akin to mochi. There seems to be much more kinako than chocolate which is surprising, both smell as I'd expect them to.


I have to say, the method of assembly here is a little flawed. The fork given has a hard time picking up the slimy mochi, and when it does it pokes all the way through, meaning basically this is an act of skewering the mochi. And with the broken pieces it's even harder, but this is of course unintended behavior.

To my surprise, I'm a fan of the kinako most of all here. The rougher texture is the perfect complement to the mochi whereas the chocolate just adds on more sliminess. So in this case it's perfectly okay that there's more kinako, I'm not sure what it is about the flavor but it adheres to the mochi and gives it everything it's missing.

The mochi itself is not that interesting, it's not sweet, and very gummy in texture, and not quite the good way. Good thing I'm not eating this by itself. The chocolate even on its own seems to be pretty underwhelming, it's not very flavorful or sweet. So all in all the kinako is the star and it's quite pleasant with the mochi, but the other components aren't quite there and the assembly is not the most fun process.

Rating: 5 - Ruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment